Friday, March 27, 2009

MaryLu Tyndall

What do you like best about being a writer? The actual writing! I love getting into my characters' heads and transporting myself into another time and place. I put my headphones on with my favorite epic music playing and I dive right into a scene. Whether it's dialogue or swashbuckling action, I feel like I'm right there. What better way to spend my day than in a fantasy world of my own creation. What's one thing you have to have within reach while writing? My music and my Thesaurus, and maybe some chocolate if I'm having one of "those" days. Pop, Soda, or Coke? What do you call it, and what's your favorite variety? Soda, and I don't drink it, sorry. Health nut here. Describe your favorite pair of shoes. My brown hiking boots with black laces and thick soles. They keep my feet warm and are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. No spiked pumps for this girl. Many years ago, my niece wrote to ask me what I wear when I'm writing . . . because she was going to a career day for which she had to dress up as the occupation she wants to be when she grows up. How would you have answered her? Comfortable jeans, a plain shirt, and my hiking boots. What's the most fun/interesting/crazy/scary/unique hands-on research you've done for a book? Sword fighting with my daugher! I needed to know what a sword feels like in my hands and sounds like when it swooshes through the air and clanks against another sword! So much fun! Candles. We all have them. But do you burn them? What scents are your favorite? I love the scent of vanilla! I have vanilla candles, perfume, oil, bubble bath, soap... you name it Have you ever re-gifted something someone's given you? Absolutely! No sense in wasting a good gift! If you were to write a novel about what your life would have been like if you'd become what you wanted to be at eight years old, what kind of character would the story be about? An astronaut soaring through outer space discovering new worlds and conquering evil wherever I found it. Have you ever gone on a book-signing tour before? What are you looking forward to next week? What makes you nervous? I've been on book-signings, but not an entire tour. I'm looking foward to chatting with people about my books and the ministry of writing for God's glory and being able to encourage them with a word from God or pray for them. Nervous? That I'll put my big foot in my mouth (which usually happens at least once a day) or that nobody will even show up. :-( What's the best piece of writing advice you've ever received? Shut off your left brain (the logic, rule following, critical side) and write from your heart without censure. What's your biggest dream for the future? To hear the words from God's mouth when I enter Heaven, "Well done, good and faithful servant" I'm not saying I'm there yet, and I fail so often, but each day I strive to do God's will and bring Him glory.

No comments: